Saturday, August 23, 2008

I am working toward a whole foood, plant based diet, eliminating animal protein, as recommended by Dr. Campbell in the book, The China Study (see below). It is very satisfying and has taken away my cravings for sweets. Its amazing to me that what he advocates in his book is basically exactly what we find in the Word of Wisdom.

I have gone on the internet to look for recipes that don't contain any and they are very plentiful. Just do a search for 'vegetarian recipes' or 'vegan recipes'. Lots of them contain ingredients that are kinda hard to come by in Heber, such as Tofu Cream Cheese, etc. There are still many things available even in our little Heber Country Store that make satisfying and nutritious meals.

When we were coming home from Utah, we stopped at a Sizzler to eat and I got a big green salad with all the trimmings, including peas, garbanza beans, beets, sunflower seeds, etc. and then had a plate of fruit. It was really good and I certainly didn't miss the meat, cheese, ice cream, etc.

Yesterday I tried this recipe for muffins which I have had for years, but which was originally for a cake. I decreased the sugar by half but I think if I make it again I would decrease it by half again because it is pretty sweet. You could also substitute raw apple, pineapple, carrots, zucchini or any thing you want instead of the applesauce.

Eggless, Butterless, Milkless Muffins
1 c brown sugar
1 c applesauce
2 c. seedless raisins
2 tbsp vegetable oil
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp cloves
1 tsp salt

Boil together 5 minutes. Let cool; when completely cold, add:
3 c whole wheat flour
3 tsp baking soda
1/2-1 c nuts if desired


Pour into 9x13 pan or muffin cups.
Bake in 325 oven till done.

2 comments:

KaNdRa and JaReD said...

Kudos to you mom because I could never follow that extremely strict. Hopefully it makes you feel better and keeps you on this earth a lot longer to see all of the grandbabies I am going to produce....well I guess I should see how the first one turns out and then make that decision later:)

Kristal said...

I am definately proud of you mom! You are a good inspiration to me. I don't think I could completely cut out milk and eggs but I can reduce other stuff. I'm wondering how many grandbabies Kandra will produce as well....if it's a little hellion like I think he's going to be then maybe she will be done.....hahahah