Sunday, June 1, 2008

Snowy day in Skagway

This train engine with snowblower in front is used for clearing the tracks to keep the railway open to the summit of White Pass during tourist season. We saw where it had been used recently to clear huge drifts from the tracks. The summit is at an elevation of about 3200 feet.
When we arrived in Skagway we boarded the White Pass and Yukon Railway for a ride to the top of the summit, traveling where the miners of the Klondike Gold Rush era went to the gold fields in the late 1890's. Unfortunately, by the time the railroad was finished, the gold rush was about over. The miners were required by the Canadian government to take a full year's supply of everything to enter the Klondike in Canada so they either carried them on their backs, one load at a time for 40 or so trips up the treacherous trail to the summit or purchased pack animals to do the same. We traveled in comfort enjoying beautiful scenery and as we got higher a snowstorm blew in. We felt right at home.


Beautiful view of Skagway and the harbor from the train.
After we got back we went on a streetcar tour of the small but bustling town of Skagway. Our guides looked like Mary Poppins and gave a fun and colorful history of the lore and legends of the early years of the area. We passed an LDS chapel as we zigzagged through town.
We heard our tour guide said, "I've been doing this 14 years and its never snowed in Skagway this time of year before!" Though we were wet and cold when we got back to the ship, we had had a good day. Last stop, Prince Rupert. . .

4 comments:

KaNdRa and JaReD said...

It looks cold! But beautiful. Great pics.

Skousen Seven said...

Who knew Alaska was this gorgeous!! Awesome pictures!!!!

Karleen said...

So I stopped going private because of you Frank. My mom told me you liked to look at my blog. I sure do miss playing basketball with Kristal and Kandra and you as our coach that was so fun. It looks like you guys are having a great time traveling.

DeAnne Baum said...

How fun to see you both traveling! We have been on two cruises (which I loved) I don't know if I could do the cold. I too will miss the green house. Your yard was always so beautiful...I still love driving by and looking at it! I hope you don't mind me stopping by and looking at your page.